Case story > Napapiirin Energia ja Vesi Oy.
Because everything in life needs to be in balance.
Napapiirin Energia ja Vesi Oy – Sarlin as a compressed air partner
Napapiirin Energia ja Vesi Oy - Sarlin supplies compressed air as a service
Napapiirin Energia ja Vesi Oy produces heat and electricity, manages water, electricity and district heating networks, and builds electricity and water networks in Lapland region. The company provides services in an environmentally friendly and cost-effective way through a network of partners. Production Director Jukka Partanen sheds light on the idea of a partner network: “To support our organization, we enter into partnership agreements with professionals who add value to our core process.”
Sarlin was chosen as a partner in compressed air systems
The mapping of the operation of the compressed air system was started with Air Audit system analysis. Air Audit revealed large fluctuations in consumption, uneven running of the compressors and frequent starting intervals, unnecessarily high output and network pressure, massive pressure drop, and insufficient drying capacity. When the network pressure of the compressed air was able to drop, the controls of the main process no longer worked reliably.
New equipment and control of the compressed air system at Sarlin Balance
The analysis of the compressed air system provided a clear basis for reforms. Compressor and dryer capacity was increased and separate work air and instrument air networks were connected.
With the help of new equipment and Sarlin Balance Smart Management System, the specific energy demand for compressed air production has been reduced by more than 20%. The pressure variation is less than 0.5 bar, compared to 2 bar previously. Pressure losses have also decreased significantly.
In the past, large blows from the ash shipment caused a rapid drop in pressure level. Now the network pressure remains under control as Sarlin Balance Smart Management System anticipates an upcoming blow.
In partnership, the system is developed together
The co-operation has significantly advanced the reliability and energy efficiency of the compressed air system. The added value of the partnership is regularly measured and problems are resolved jointly. In addition, the collaboration provides training and support for the interpretation and use of the Sarlin Balance Smart Management System. Sarlin monitors the operation of the compressed air plant remotely and reports on the operation regularly.
Findings from Air Audit analysis
- Consumption Fluctuations
- Uneven running of machines
- Frequent start intervals
- Unnecessarily high output and network pressure
- Extensive pressure losses
- Adequate drying capacity
- Network pressure drop during ash blowing
- Separate work air and instrument air networks were connected
- Compressor and dryer capacity was increased
- The compressed air system is controlled and optimized by Sarlin Balance
- Remote monitoring and reporting of the compressed air system
- Specific energy demand for compressed air production decreased by more than 20%
- Pressure variation less than 0.5 bar instead of the previous 2 bar
- Pressure drops significantly reduced
- Sarlin Balance Smart Management System anticipates ash blowing, keeping the
- Network pressure under control
- Good reliability